Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Tuesday July 21 - Morton Bagot

 One of the best things about birding is that you can never quite predict what you are going to see. I had the opportunity to get out early this morning, and decided on another visit to Morton Bagot. I didn't expect to see much, but for once I had underestimated the patch.

I gave myself a metaphorical pat on the back for the first good find of the day. As I walked along the hedge leading away from where the ringers set their nets I noticed a lot of small birds, mainly Whitethroats calling persistently. I wondered whether they had seen an Owl, but I was on the wrong side of the hedge to give the favoured tree stump a look. It would have been easy to be lazy and just keep going, but no, I opted to clamber over the gate at the end and backtrack. A Barn Owl was my reward.


Before I could work out how to get a clearer shot, the Barn Owl jumped up the tree and exited out of the back of the hedge. This was the first I'd seen here since January, although I was aware that a pair was still in the area.

I continued to the Flash field, but was disappointed to see that the nearest flash was completely dry and occupied by just two Lapwings and a Black-headed Gull. I decided to walk back up the slope to scope the furthest flash, which at least still contains water. It also harboured four Green Sandpipers and a few Mallard and Moorhens.

On the walk back a helicopter flew directly overhead and rather did me a favour because it flushed three more Green Sandpipers proving that there must still be some water in one of the HOEF scrapes.

I was just passing the line of small bushes which stretch over the ridge away from the scrape field when I noticed a Whitethroat flit into one of the shrubs. I raised my bins to look at it, and found that the bush also contained a male Whinchat. Now I have seen Whinchat here in July before, but not often. It seems that the ringers theory that passerines had started to migrate was right. Adults tend to leave first, leaving the youngsters to work it out for themselves once they're strong enough.


It looked a bit scruffy, and was rather distant (the photo was taken at maximum zoom). I edge closer hoping for another shot, and found a second Whinchat. This time a female type.


Further attempts to get a decent shot were largely unsuccessful, but I did manage one with both birds in frame (albeit at either end of the shot).


I was very pleased to see these birds, although I suppose it could signify a failed breeding attempt somewhere in northern Britain.

How cool would it be to also see the Stonechats. So I headed back to the dragonfly pools at Netherstead, and sure enough a male Stonechat was still there.

But I wasn't done. The hedge in front of Netherstead Farm can be good for passage Redstarts, so I gave it a scan with no real expectation. And blow me, I was standing directly opposite a male Redstart busily preening its rather scruffy plumage.


I'd seen both a Whinchat and a Redstart here in spring, but it was great to find both in July. There's no doubt that for birds the autumn has arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment