Thursday, 30 July 2026

Thursday July 30 - Morton Bagot

 It's been a really quiet week (hence the lack of posts), so this one is a summary of what little I've seen on the patch recently.

In fact last Sunday probably saw the best of my three visits. The highlight was the rediscovery of the male Whinchat. It was in the scrape field but I chose not to get a close view, and settled for a record shot.


The flash pool looked great and was occupied by nine Green Sandpipers. That was on Sunday, but since then I've struggled to see more than three or four.

On Tuesday I was surprised to discover that the Stonechat numbers had doubled to four, with pairs in the scrape field and at the Dragonfly ponds.

Today I couldn't see the new birds, but the dragonfly pool still supported the original pair.


However, the main highlight was a Kingfisher at the nearest flash. Unfortunately it was too quick (twice) for a photo. The large gulls were back, and I counted 37 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, and seven Herring Gulls.

If this is all sounding a bit nerdy, you ain't seen nothing yet. I have been tempted to buy Graham Lyons' book Pan-Species Listing. Reading it cover to cover in no time I'm already spending hours putting my moths on his Pan-Listing website. Everything else will follow, and I've no doubt I'll be down on my knees trying to identify grass before very long.

I'll try not to blog about it though.


No comments:

Post a Comment