Monday 27 May 2019

Moths in the garden at Winyates East - May 26/27

Last night the first field trials of my new battery operated compact Skinner trap took place in the garden, the battery having finally been charged.

To my relief the light censor worked and the bulb switched itself on at dusk and off at dawn. The trap itself is smaller than my usual wooden one, it is described as a compact trap after all, and I found it a bit fiddly to put together.

I sited it in the middle of the lawn and was up at 05.00 am to see what it contained.

The answer was 17 moths of eight species. However, two of them were new for the garden, and therefore lifers. They were a Seraphim, and two Treble Lines.

Seraphim
Treble Lines
Admittedly not the most exciting moths to look at, but a tick's a tick. As far as I can tell these moths are described as fairly common in Warwickshire.

The remainder included five new for the year; namely Flame Shoulder, Common Swift, Green Carpet, Common Pug, and Green Pug. The only species I haven't mentioned being the very common Heart and Dart (nine in the trap).

Flame Shoulder
Green Carpet
Green Pug
Common Pug
I plan to do one more test, this time in my sister's garden. After that it's Morton Bagot.

No comments:

Post a Comment