Wednesday 15 May 2019

Wednesday May 15

Sunny with a very light easterly.

Today has seen a pair of White Storks circling over Earlswood, a Temminck's Stint at Upton Warren, and a pair of Garganeys at Grimley. Seemingly more relevant to Morton Bagot were Swifts flying around my Mum's house in Moseley. It is starting to irk me that I haven't seen one on the patch yet this year.

Against this backdrop I set out for Morton Bagot with some optimism this evening. And it wasn't misplaced. With little time left after work I chose to route march to the Flash field and was almost there when I heard the lovely bubbling song of a Curlew. Sure enough, one was flying in and duly landed on the nearest flash.

Curlew
The light was poor, so ...usual excuses.

A pair of Little Ringed Plovers was still present, as was a pair of Gadwall. The waterlevel had dropped considerably since the weekend and no doubt it was this that had attracted the Curlew.

A young couple approached rather noisily with their dog. They were apparently trying to find Studley Castle. I gave them directions, but doubted they would find their car before dark. As they departed, I noticed a movement on the furthest flash. Turning my attention there, I realised it contained an energetically feeding Greenshank.

Greenshank
I then saw that there was now a pair of Curlews on the furthest flash, and a quick check confirmed that the closer bird had flown to join its mate. Sadly, these are certainly a pair of failed breeders, perhaps the pair seen at Salford Priors Gravel Pits in March.

Curlews and Greenshank in the gathering gloom.
What an evening. I had given up on Curlew for the year, they used to hold a territory until about 2010, but nowadays if you haven't seen one by mid April you've probably had it. Rather like the Midland Curlew population I'm afraid. I normally see a Greenshank in autumn, and they can stay for weeks, but its great to get a Spring migrant.

Still no Swifts though.

No comments:

Post a Comment