Thursday 16 January 2020

Bittell Reservoirs - Black-necked Grebe

Back in 1977 I had just joined the West Midlands Bird Club and the bulletin plopped onto my parent's doormat for the first time. My teenage hands tore it open and I scanned the latest reports section to see where I should go birdwatching. A place that stood out as being sufficiently local that I could get there by bus, and also quite good for birds was Bittell Reservoirs. My first visit on a frosty morning in January 1978 is a distant memory, all I can recall is that the upper reservoir was partially frozen. I didn't start recording birds in notebooks until July 1979, but by 2008 I had visited about 800 times, and had seen in excess of 180 species there. Then I stopped going.

It is somewhat ironic that although Bittell seemed convenient from Kings Heath, I lost interest in it when we moved to Redditch, barely 15 minutes away. One reason for the change of heart was discovering Morton Bagot on my doorstep, but another was that Bittell had its drawbacks. In the early days access was easy from the north-east corner of the upper reservoir, and the lower could be seen quite well over a low point in the surrounding hedge. Eventually however, Barnt Green Fishing Club and the Sailing Club started to make life difficult. Fencing appeared, and heavy wrought iron gates. It became necessary to apply for a permit (and only a small number was given out) if you wanted to see birds properly. I did so, but even then the bailiff left you in no doubt that he wasn't happy if you found a bird and broadcast the news. We did anyway, and soured the atmosphere further. Eventually I handed my key back.

So now I'm a visitor, and am obliged to park at the end of the access road under the welcoming signs.



A Black-necked Grebe had been present on the upper reservoir for almost a month, so that formed an obvious target. I was also keen to see how the place had changed in the 11 years since my last visit.

I reached the dam by the public footpath, and surveyed the reservoir. Its pretty big.


A scope is essential. I knew that the grebe was on the far side, and guessed it would be off the point, which it was. It was too far away for a photograph which would be any good, but when did that ever stop me.

Black-necked Grebe (honest)
I was actually quite impressed by the birdlife I could see in the distance. In the north-east corner were 38 Pochard and a few Tufted Ducks. In my day diving ducks were nearly always confined to the lower reservoir. There were a few Great Crested Grebes a bit closer, 26 in total, and a Little Grebe was diving off the point to catch out the unwary birder searching for the Black-necked.

A throng of 353 Black-headed Gulls bobbed around the middle, and I was surprised to see a Yellow-legged Gull on a buoy. This species has become a lot commoner since it was elevated from being the Mediterranean race of the Herring Gull.

Yellow-legged Gull
Great Crested Grebe
To get to the lower reservoir it is necessary to walk along the bridle path past the Mill Shrub. The alders which proliferate have always attracted Siskins and Redpolls, and so a large party coming down to drink in the stream made me feel that things had hardly changed at all. Certainly the track was as muddy as ever.


Actually, probably muddier. Any birds on the Mill Shrub can be viewed very easily from the road, and today it contained a nice assortment of common ducks and Little Grebes. Crossing the road to look at Lower Bittell I was in for some nice surprises. For a start virtually the whole area could be seen because the hedge had been removed in this one spot, and secondly there were a lot of ducks.

Shovelers numbered 41, Gadwall 10, and Wigeon 16. At least 55 Tufted Ducks and 68 Coots were in view along with a dozen or so Cormorants. This would have been a very good day at Morton Bagot.

Shoveler
A pair of Gadwall
It wasn't all better than the olden days though. I didn't see any Teal, which was strange, and Goldeneyes and Goosanders were also absent.

I retraced my steps snapping at anything which came in range.

Jay
So its much as I remembered, with a few tweaks. I didn't see another birder, although a photographer within the permit zone in front of the club house made no attempt to wander over for a chat.

The whole area is in the green belt, and always felt a world away from Birmingham. I noticed that things are changing a little though.



These houses weren't there in 2008. The march of progress?

No comments:

Post a Comment