Wednesday 22 January 2020

Sewage Works

This morning I decided to stray a mile down the road from Morton Bagot, and instead of following the crowds, to follow my nose. My first destination was Spernal sewage works (officially called Redditch STW).

I visited the place a few times in the 1980s, but not since. I can remember a small building and a water filtration bed upon which was crowded a large party of Snipe. Birdtrack tells me I also saw a Turtle Dove there on one occasion.

Times have changed. It is now an enormous complex surrounded, not surprisingly, by an impenetrable fence.



One thing my scene setting photos don't show is much sign of the sewage works. That's because it was pretty much impossible to see anything beyond the fence and walls. It was like trying to peer into a prison.

My dreams of finding a rare phylloscopus warbler, or even a Chiffchaff, were soon dashed. Even the extensive perimeter woodland and scrub contained only common birds, the best being two Goldcrests, and 13 Long-tailed Tits.

That's not to say that the visit didn't have a few little gems. A Peregrine flew across the ploughed fields to the west of the site, and given the close proximity of Morton Bagot, two adult Common Gulls were worth recording.

Peregrine disappearing into the distance
Common Gull
Time for Plan B, Inkberrow sewage works. I had located it on a map last night, and so now was my chance to get acquainted.

My initial reaction was completely positive. It was very small and easy to view, and on the opposite side of the road a pasture field was full of thrushes.


The down side was that after an hour of hanging around, being eyed suspiciously by a steady stream of dog-walkers and locals out for a stroll, I hadn't really seen very much. The highlight was the thrush flock which contained about 300 Redwings, 25 Fieldfares, and a few Starlings. Typically I was about two-thirds of my way through counting the flock when the whole lot flew up and landed in the surrounding trees. This always happens.

Turning my attention back to the sewage treatment centre itself I drew another complete blank for Chiffchaffs, and had to settle for a single Grey Wagtail as the most noteworthy bird.

I still enjoyed the morning, you can't beat a bit of exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment