Sunday 26 January 2020

Sunday January 26

Back at the patch this morning. There was a hint of sunshine first thing, but cloud soon arrived from the south-west.

My new camera arrived yesterday, a Nikon P900, and I was keen to see what it could do. Having faithfully followed NQS's advice from when he got his camera I got set up quickly and easily. Compared to my Canon Sureshot, it is alarmingly bulky, but surprisingly no heavier.

So scanning around for something to photograph, some Long-tailed Tits were too quick for me, and I had to settle for a single Redwing, which called just as I pressed the shutter.

Redwing
The light was better than for the rest of the morning and I was reasonably happy with this first attempt. At the far side of the field beyond was a Carrion Crow carrying something in its bill.

Carrion Crow and corn cob
Zooming in on the above shot I could see it was carrying a cob of maize.

I tried photographing birds flying over, but the results were very disappointing blurred blobs. I'll need to study the instruction manual, but it may simply be no better for that than my Canon.

Dave arrive and we walked around seeing pretty much nothing noteworthy. Three Coots, 21 Linnets, and one Teal was about the best of it.

At the flash field the light was poor, so I tried photographing a party of Mallard to see how they looked.

Mallard
On the walk back I was pleased to see some Roe Deer.


Again, the light was poor, so the results are acceptable to me.

Yes I know, I'm not a photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment