Wednesday 29 January 2020

Wednesday January 29

A morning of frequent sunny intervals and a light westerly. I didn't feel that my last visit to the patch did it justice, so I tried again this morning. Another opportunity to play with my camera. I eventually concluded that it was better on auto for extremely distant birds and also for flying birds, but better on manual for birds in trees.

About 80 Redwings and four Fieldfares were feeding in the paddocks, and there were also a few Meadow Pipits and 42 Linnets.

Redwing and Fieldfare (auto)
Bullfinch (manual)
Walking towards the flash field I was pleased to see a pair of Stonechats in the chat field, and could just see the Tawny Owl in its usual tree. I also took some shots of birds in flight.

Kestrel (auto)
Skylark (auto)
Recently, the flash field has been pretty poor, but today it was a lot more entertaining. A drake Shelduck was on the back flash with the Greylag flock, and a pair of Wigeon (first here this year) and three Teal were on the nearest flash.

Shelduck
drake Wigeon
duck Wigeon
Teal
A dead goose floating in the sedge hinted at the reason it has been so poor for wildfowl lately.

On the walk back I heard a burst of Siskin song from Stapenhill Wood, and further investigation revealed at least two birds feeding in the alders.

Siskin (manual)
This species eluded my photo year-list last year, so I'm pleased to get some reasonable images.

It's not such a bad place in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment