Friday 4 September 2020

More moth stuff

 Following last week's Moth Night(s) I have been checking the jam I smeared on our apple tree every night. I strongly suspect that the big moth from last Saturday night was a Clifden Nonpareil, but having only seen its underside I couldn't be sure and was hoping for a second coming.

On Thursday night I did find a big moth, but it was an Old Lady. New for the year and only my second in the garden but a bit disappointing. 

Last night the trap went out, and I caught another one. This moth looked much tattier than the one on the tree the night before, so either its a hard life being an Old Lady, or its a different one.

Old Lady - nice and fresh

Old lady - worn and tatty

The rest of the catch was a little bit dull if I'm honest. The only species new for the year was Centre-barred Sallow, and there were six of them. They seem to be a common autumn moth here.

Centre-barred Sallow

The actual numbers were quite good, a reflection of a relatively mild night. The full list of the 65 moths caught is as follows:

Common Plume 1, Light Brown Apple Moth 3, Celypha lacunana 1, Agriphila geniculea 5, Common Marbled Carpet 1, Brimstone Moth 1, Willow Beauty 1, Dusky Thorn 5, Vine's Rustic 2, Pale Mottled Willow 1, Copper Underwing 2, Old Lady 1, Flounced Rustic 5, Centre-barred Sallow 6 (nfy), Large Yellow Underwing 21, Square-spot Rustic 9.

Wasps continue to be a problem. I got up very early (05.30) in the hope of beating them to the trap, but I was too late and several ended up in the utility room. I did however see a Fox as I peered out first thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment