Friday 11 September 2020

Ringing update 10 Sep - Birds galore

 I've just received the ringing report for Thursday. I was unable to get down that day and suspected I would regret it.

Sure enough, they caught over a hundred birds, the Meadow Pipit trap plan being particularly successful. The highlight for me (had I been there) would have been the Garden Warbler. The only record this year being an unseen bird singing in June. I have only ever seen one Garden Warbler here in autumn.

Garden Warbler - per Tony Kelly

Ok they are not the most striking of birds, but they also don't occur here except on passage, and are barely annual. Envious? You betcha.

As for the figures, the total catch was as follows:

Blue Tit 31 (11), Great Tit 10 (3), Chiffchaff 9, Garden Warbler 1, Blackcap 6, Treecreeper 1, Wren 2, Robin 1 (1), Dunnock 3 (1), Meadow Pipit 33, Bullfinch 2, Greenfinch 1.

As always the retraps are shown in brackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment