Wednesday 16 September 2020

Wednesday Sept 16 - Some encouraging signs

 I've decided that the title of my last post was too downbeat. Despite a late start this morning there were a few reasons for optimism. To begin with the wind direction has shifted to a light easterly, although it remains warm and sunny.

A Grey Wagtail flew over Netherstead, and a Stonechat perched briefly on the hedge by the pond.

Stonechat

It is starting to feel that summer is truly behind us. I heard a single Swallow twittering, but couldn't pick it up against the blue sky. There were no Whinchats, and the only warblers were Blackcaps (five), and Chiffchaffs (four). There was also no large movement of Meadow Pipits, just a slow trickle.

However, the nearest flash produced waders. Two Green Sandpipers were the first for about a month, Snipe have increased to at least four, and there were at least 16 Lapwings. The recent dry spell has only dropped the water level by an inch or two and there is still no mud, but its clearly enough for these waders.

Green Sandpiper

The Wigeon was still present as were 37 Teal,  a Redpoll, and a Little Owl.


The rest of the visit was quiet, but was enlivened by only my second Grass Snake here. It was a better view than I had last time, but it still disappeared into the grass near the dragonfly pool before I could get my camera into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment