Tuesday 29 September 2020

Tuesday Sep 29 - Morgrove Coppice

I've found myself a little short of time this week. Balancing home life and dodging yucky weather left me with just a two hour slot this morning. conditions were perfect for woodland watching, still and sunny, so I headed for Morgrove Coppice for my first morning visit there.

The mixed woodland combination of scots pines and larch next to oaks and birch leaves plenty of possibilities, and I quickly got onto the tail of a large tit flock which was accompanied by a couple of Chiffchaffs, numerous Goldcrests, and an unseen tacker which I assumed was a Blackcap.

Once they had moved through I switched to checking the pines for finches, and duly recorded several Siskins and Lesser Redpolls.

Lesser Redpoll

Although several Redpolls landed at the top of the conifers, I had discovered that the majority of the them were in the birches when a flock of about 50 small finches suddenly erupted into the air before disappearing from view. The calls suggested Redpolls, but I couldn't relocate the flock in the time I had.

In fact I ended up slowing right down and just chilling out in the car park as a trickle of Meadow Pipits, and Skylarks flew past. It was very relaxing.

I also nodded to a never-ending flow of dog-walkers, most of whom were responsibly ensuring that they were prepared to take home their doggy waste. Most of them! I was disappointed to find several dollops on the boardwalk waiting for the next lucky wheelchair owner to labour past.

Oh dear there I go again, the grumpy old man gene has kicked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment