Friday 6 November 2020

Friday November 6 - that morning after feeling

 Another bright sunny morning, this time with a hint of south-easterly in the breeze. I was up with the lark, despite having established last night that the ringers would be trapping somewhere else this morning.

In the absence of their nets, and particularly their feeders, relocating the Mealy Redpoll soon started to feel like a fool's errand. In fact it was hard to find any Redpolls at all, and in the end I had to settle for a handful of fly-overs.

Never mind, it was still glorious. 

Looking east towards Bannams Wood

For once, some of the local winter visitors were willing to pose for me.

Meadow Pipit

Redwing

One or two less usual visitors turned up. Two female-type Wigeon joined the six Teal on the nearest flash, three Mute Swans did a brief fly round, and a Lapwing by the furthest flash was the first for weeks. I also noticed three Buzzards tucking into something, probably the ailing Canada Goose seen on Wednesday.

While I was lurking under the trees by the nearest flash several birds landed conveniently close, having clearly not noticed me.

Mistle Thrush

Chaffinch

Three Siskins feeding in an alder managed to defy by best efforts to add them to this morning's gallery.

It may not be the best patch in the world for rarities, but I feel very lucky to have Morton Bagot on my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment