Tuesday 24 November 2020

Tuesday November 24 - unfinished business

 Although I saw the Hen Harrier in the Wolverton area at the weekend, the views were poor and it felt like unfinished business. So this morning I went back.

It was rather cloudy, but the breeze was still light and south-westerly. Shortly after arriving, I noticed a Little Owl on a barn roof. A good omen perhaps.

Little Owl

I moved on towards the site, and initially had the place to myself. After about 15 minutes the Harrier appeared, and so did a number of other birders at the opposite end of the field. It occurred to me that they were closer to the bird than I was, so I joined them.

The bird was clearly catching voles and mice and was disappearing into the long grass periodically, presumably to eat what it had caught. It was a lovely ring-tailed Hen Harrier, and may well have been an adult female.

Hen Harrier

At one point it flew along the hedge at the opposite side of the field and I managed to film it (commentary from Glen G).






Other birds present included plenty of Meadow Pipits and a few Siskins, and I was told the area had also hosted a Merlin at the weekend, which didn't surprise me at all.

Its a wonderful local patch for the finder, but he may not have it all to himself this winter. I hope he doesn't mind.

PS Meanwhile Neil D was visiting Morton Bagot, recording a Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, 20 Redpolls, and two Stonechats.


2 comments: