Wednesday 4 November 2020

Wednesday November 4

 I picked today for a visit because the wind had abated, and the fog is not due until tomorrow. As far as that went I got it right. Wall to wall sunshine after a frosty start and a very light westerly breeze.

November can be good. November can be good. If I keep repeating this mantra, I tell myself, it will come true. However, as I hope the orange skinned halfwit across the pond will find out, repeatedly saying something will happen doesn't necessarily mean that it will.

So, just in case, I photographed the first bird which stood still long enough.

A shame about the traffic cones

It was probably just as well, because this was another pretty steady visit.

A Peregrine was perched on the pylons for the first time for a while, although it didn't make for a particularly attractive subject. At least it can be seen to be an adult.

Peregrine

There was a certain amount of overhead movement, but this chiefly related to Woodpigeons (550 south-west) and Starlings (100 south-west). All the usual winter species were present in moderate numbers, and as with my last visit, the highlight was supplied by Brambling. The first one was an unseen flyover by the main road, but later on I heard more calls along the Morton Brook, and saw two more flying by with Chaffinches. Finally, a fourth bird perched up on a distant Ash, and I managed a record shot.

A male Brambling

As for the rest of the visit, a kick through the marsh revealed no Snipe of any species although the ground under my feet was quite soggy. The flash field was again dreadful, just five Teal and a possibly injured Canada Goose. Whether the latter had been shot, it might just have been having a sit down, I don't know. I haven't seen any evidence of shooting this year, except circumstantially from the paucity of wildfowl.

There's always next time, November can be good.

1 comment: