Thursday 19 November 2020

Thursday November 19 - messing up the morning

 This morning I had three options; 1. go to Morton Bagot, 2. do another Spotter Sheet Walk, or 3. Try to see the Hen Harrier seen recently in the Snitterfield/Wolverton area. 

I opted for options 2 and 3. So I went back to Morgrove Coppice and went on the trail which took me across to Spernal Park. I was a bit unlucky because a heavy shower drenched me shortly after arrival and just as I got onto the only tit flock I saw. As I sheltered, they all headed away and for the rest of the walk I saw very little.

Meadow Pipits

A couple of Meadow Pipits were the subject of the only photo I attempted.

If you thought that was bad, it was nothing to my attempt at option 3. This consisted of driving along the winding road past Wolverton, where the Harrier was seen on Monday, looking for somewhere to park. In the end I gave up and drove to Snitterfield Bushes which overlooks an airfield which I thought might be the sort of place a Hen Harrier might go.

After an hour I had seen a couple of Buzzards, a Kestrel, a Stonechat, and a mixed flock of 60 Linnets and Goldfinches. A hedgerow full of hawthorn berries had attracted about 30 Redwings and a few Fieldfares

I should have gone for option 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment