Friday 19 March 2021

Friday March 19 - Checking it out

 I got a taste of my old birding life today. A text from SMW, did I know anything about a Little Gull at Arrow Valley Lake? The answer was no, but the sub-text was clear. It has been a while (I'd rather not say how long) since I last saw a Little Gull, so yes I'll go and have a look.

Although the lake is only five minutes from our house, I haven't been there at all this year. The sight of crowds of people wandering around it reminded me why.

The upshot was that I walked at a brisk pace, regularly scanning the 30 or so Black-headed Gulls, but I could not see a Little Gull. I did see two female Goosanders, three Tufted Ducks, several Great Crested Grebes, and a Little Egret, but nothing that would be likely to encourage SMW or anyone else to make a special visit.

Goosanders

As I was completing my circuit, four Sand Martins appeared out of the greyness of the clouds. My first this year and just enough of a boost to lift the visit out of the ordinary.

As it was GMS night the trap went out. I caught 10 moths, none of which was new for the year. They were:

Early Grey     -    1
Common Quaker    -     6
Small Quaker     -    1
Hebrew Character    -     2

No comments:

Post a Comment