Tuesday 23 March 2021

Tuesday March 23 - A day of reflection

 Although the winds have swung into the south-west, it was still a chilly and cloudy morning.

I chose to take the long route, walking along the road initially, which gave me plenty of time to reflect on birding at Morton Bagot. Twelve months ago I was about to throw in the towel and spend six months holed up in the house, as was (nearly) everyone. 

By this time last year I wasn't doing a great deal better here than I am this year. The first LRP had turned up, but apart from that spring seemed just as elusive. Nevertheless this spring does seem further behind, and today I could do no better than a slightly improved Chiffchaff count (seven, all singing).

Chiffchaff

The flash field remains dire; nine Teal, two Lapwings, four Lesser Black-backed Gulls, and a few geese and Mallard.

A few plants are starting to flower, so I took a few photos of what might be Goat Willow, and Primrose. 



Meanwhile a few more irecord notifications have resulted in a reshuffle of my moth list. I have lost a Chamomile Shark which I had thought I had correctly identified at the end of May 2018 (it was a Shark), but have regained Spruce Carpet (which I had correctly identified, and was supported by JS) in May 2018, before I subsequently lost confidence in the identification. It turns out it really was one, and is restored to the list.

Last night the micro Agonopterix heracliana/ciliella returned to the kitchen window which allowed me to recapture and retain it as a specimen for confirmation. 

The moth trap went out over the night 23/24 March, but all I caught was:

Common Quaker    -    6
Small Quaker        -    1

The prospects for GMS night on Friday look even worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment