Wednesday 3 March 2021

Wednesday March 3 - Misty and murky

 In complete contrast to the end of February this morning's first March visit was a misty and murky affair. 


The nearest I came to an unusual bird flew over shortly after I took the above photograph. A Golden Plover was calling from high in the sky. It then called again and unlike with my previous sighting this year I managed to see it. (I also took a photo as it flew over my head, but even heavily cropped I would struggle to call it a record shot, so I'm not posting it).

I eventually reached the flash field, but there was little new to be seen. Pairs of Wigeon and Shelducks, 21 Teal, and 13 Lapwings were mostly hanging around the furthest flash.

Five species in this shot

Along the hedge I first heard a singing Treecreeper, and then a singing Goldcrest. The latter species is extremely challenging to photograph, and I eventually gave up. However, I was tempted to try for a bit of film. The way it darts about neatly demonstrates why I haven't photographed too many of them.


The song is very high-pitched and the species is often given as an example of one of the first birds you will lose as your higher pitch hearing declines.

Hopefully this close one is coming through loud and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment