Friday 11 February 2022

Friday February 11 - Kinwarton area

 More decisions to be made. I could hang around Tardebigge church again hoping for the Hawfinch, I could pick a sewage works (I had Wootton Wawen in mind), or I could follow up on John Coombes' tip off regarding a field with about 40 Bramblings in it down at Kinwarton. That's what I plumped for.

I parked in Alcester, and headed along the Monarch's Way footpath. This was new territory for me and crossed some pretty decent looking scrubland.


Song Thrush

And also some traditional arable farmland.

A nice wide field margin

In the distance the advance of the Heart of England Forest was plain to see, and also a very distant Red Kite, #LocalBigYear 86.

Coming to a field near you

What's not to like!

In the course of the walk I met a lady who kindly pointed out a tree on her private land where a Little Owl was sitting. #LocalBigYear 87.

Little Owl

Eventually I reached the field, which was at the intersection of Coughton Fields Lane and the B4089. I was in for a treat. At least 80 Linnets, about 15 Yellowhammers, and at least 16 Bramblings were estimated. I'm pretty sure I didn't get to grips with the whole flock.

The favoured hedge

Brambling

I came away feeling I had gone for the right option.


No comments:

Post a Comment