Sunday 20 February 2022

Sunday February 20 - In search of easy ticks

 The weather was a bit confusing today. A brief conversation with Dave led to him heading for Marsh Lane for the second week running, while I decided to try my luck at Lower Bittell. We had been convinced that it was going to rain from mid-morning.

My plan was to grab some easy year-ticks. On the way there I paused to look at three Egrets in a field opposite the Citroen garage at Bordesley. They proved to be Little Egrets as usual.

Lower Bittell was unexpectedly low, well lowish, and had a proper muddy edge. The only wader-ready habitat in my Circle so far this year. There were no waders on it, but you can't have everything. What I did see was nine Little Grebes and four Gadwalls. Compared to my last visit in November, the rest of the reservoir was a bit disappointing. I counted 51 Tufted Ducks, 10 Teal, and 14 Coot along with a smattering of Mallard, and a few Cormorants and Grey Herons.

Gadwall waiting for the Coot to stir up some food

At least 80 Siskins landed in an alder and twittered loudly, and a couple of Grey Wagtails were also seen.

After an hour I decided to head to Morton Bagot. It still wasn't really raining. However, on reaching the small roundabout by Old Birmingham Road I noticed a couple of small flash pools in a field and thought I had caught sight of something white by one of them. So I pulled into a lay-by and investigated.

The white thing turned out to be litter, but closer examination of the edge of the pool gave me a Green Sandpiper, my 90th year tick for #LocalBigYear. 

Green Sandpiper

I suspect that the pool will dry up well before spring, but if it stays wet it could be worth a look.

By the time I got to Morton Bagot the threatened rain was starting to fall. I decided on a brisk walk to the flash field, 56 Lapwings, 23 Teal, and three Wigeon, before circling back to the church. The route gave me a Red Kite which flew past as I scrabbled to get my camera out of my bag.

Red Kite ...just

My first here this year, so it was worth the visit.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard. Just discovered your blog. Really enjoyed reading up on your #LocalBigYear adventures! I will be following with interest throughout the rest of the year. May even dip a toe in myself. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh. I must admit it's my preferred method of communication. Glad you found me.

      Delete