Friday 15 July 2022

Friday July 15 - Feckenham Wylde Moor

 Taking advantage of the calm before the temperature dial turns to Sahara, I thought I'd visit Feckenham again, but this time go the the Worcestershire Trust Reserve. I got a bit confused about where you could and couldn't park, but otherwise enjoyed a couple of hours.

The highlight was a recently fledged juvenile Cuckoo which flew across a reedbed before perching in trees some distance away. It's probably over ten years since I last saw such a young one, although the reserve does support a population of Cuckoos, so it wasn't so surprising really.

Cuckoo

I spent a lot of time waiting for the numerous White butterflies to settle so that I could work out what they were. I plumped for almost all being a summer generation of Green-veined White (although Obsidentify tried to tell me the one I photographed was the first British record of Southern Small White). I'm afraid I'm losing faith in the app.

The lightly marked summer generation of Green-veined White

Other butterflies included several Essex Skippers and an equal number of Small Skippers

Essex Skipper

As usual I was up for pointing my camera at any interesting looking insects, including this Meadow Plant Bug, which the app reckoned was Leptopterna dolabrata.

Meadow Plant Bug

I'll end with a couple of birds, a trilling Little Grebe on the main pool, and a fly-over Red Kite with some suspicious damage to one of its wings (I suppose it could be moult, but I suspect a gunshot may have been involved).

Little Grebe

Red Kite


No comments:

Post a Comment