Tuesday 12 July 2022

Tuesday July 12 - Feckenham Village

 There is of course a Worcestershire Trust reserve near the village of Feckenham called Feckenham Wylde Moor, but going there would have been too obvious a move. So this morning under grey sultry skies I plumped for the village, and I have to say that if we could afford it Lyn and I would move there tomorrow. It's a proper English village with a great community spirit and some very nice wild areas to walk around.

The first area of interest was a rough meadow just beyond the football pitch, bordered by banks of bramble and great for butterflies. The highlight here was seeing several Essex Skippers outnumbered about two to one by Small Skippers.

Essex Skipper showing ink blob antennae tips

From there I walked down a wooded valley bordering the Bow Brook (other Bow Brooks are available in the county). It was the sort of place I could imagine once held Spotted Flycatchers and Turtle Doves, but today the most noteworthy birds were two male (possibly immature male) Grey Wagtails. Well you can't find a Honey Buzzard every day!

Grey Wagtail scrupulously avoiding showing me its black throat

Back in the village I was very pleased to find three House Martin nests, one of which contained a brood of four. A couple of pairs of Swifts were low enough to suggest that they probably breed in the village too.

I then took a footpath east of the village and found more good habitat.

Marbled White

Shaded Broad-bar (moth)

Beautiful Demoiselle in a hedge nowhere near any water

So no big surprises, but more ground covered.


2 comments:

  1. I recall seeing a Spot Fly in trees bordering the village green in Feckenham village. Many years ago now, possibly 30 😯

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect there are lots of places around here that used to get them. 🙁

    ReplyDelete