Tuesday 26 July 2022

Morton Bagot - July 26

After foregoing my normal weekend visit to the patch, I thought that today I should make amends. Fortunately Sam had gone there on Sunday, and had noticed both a Stonechat and a Whinchat.

This morning started well. As I was donning my wellies I found I could hear a reeling Grasshopper Warbler from the direction of the dragonfly ponds. Unfortunately I couldn't maintain this solid start, not helped by the drizzle which set in and persisted for about an hour.

Despite the rain there was plenty of passerine activity. Numerous Blackcaps, Whitethroats, and Chiffchaffs diving into cover, with a single Marsh Tit by Clowse Farm probably the pick of the bunch.

Whitethroat

I eventually arrived at the flash field and made two encouraging discoveries. Firstly, the farmer has reflooded the nearest flash, and secondly he has cut down most of the rushes which have been obscuring the mud for the last few years. It would be nice to add that a decent wader was on view as a result, but it turned out that two Green Sandpipers were as good as it got.

As I headed back the rain gave over, and a few butterflies started to emerge. But there was nothing notable to see. 

However, it was nice to see that a brood of Kestrels has fledged, being three juveniles and an adult in attendance.

Juvenile Kestrel

My last throw of the dice was to survey the dragonfly pools. The sun poked its head out for the first time, but the temperature didn't get above 17 degrees and all I saw was a Blue-tailed Damselfly and two Small Red-eyes.

It sounds as though Upper Bittell Res (sum plum Knot) and Bartley Res (Black Terns and a Little Tern) are the places to visit, but I have no plans to do so....yet.....or maybe I do.

News of a Cattle Egret at Upper Bittell tipped the balance. I got there at 19.15 and dipped. I hate twitching. At least I saw the Knot and Black-tailed Godwits.

The Knot is lurking towards the right of the image.

Upper Bittell is not a haven for photographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment