Friday 22 July 2022

Friday July 22 - Earlswood Lakes

 I fancied looking at waterbirds today, and within the Circle that meant Earlswood Lakes. It was a rather cloudy morning, but the threatened heavy showers never materialised.

Since joining the Earlswood Bird News Whatsapp Group a month ago I've been keeping an eye open for anything unusual there, but there hasn't been much to encourage a visit.

A couple of hours around Engine Pool produced the long-staying Pintail, and the summering Wigeon. I can't say for certain that they are of captive origin, but they were certainly happy to keep company with the human-tolerant Mallards.

Pintail

Wigeon

Also very photogenic were a number of juvenile Grey Wagtails, and a female Tufted Duck with brood.

Grey Wagtail

Tufted Duck and surviving brood

The only unexpected birds were two juvenile Little Grebes swimming together in the middle of the lake. They looked slightly different from one another, so I concluded that they may be from two different broods, and were probably hatched elsewhere.

The Little Grebes

The recent dry weather has produced a small edge in some parts of the lake, but I didn't see any waders. There is a new Gull identification book on the market, and it looks pretty good. At least one Yellow-legged Gull has been seen here recently, so I stopped to look at a group of large gulls. I now realise I need to get that book, because when it comes to moulting large gulls in late summer, I'm pretty clueless.

Canada Goose, Herring Gulls, a LBBGull, and maybe something else

I got back to the car, and wondered whether the ObsIdentification App would help. I tried it on the other photographs shown and it passed with flying colours (but I knew what they were anyway). Then I tried it on the right hand gull in the above picture. It said 67% Yellow-legged Gull, 33% Herring Gull. Then I tried zooming in to its head only. It said 97% Caspian Gull. Good grief.

So I won't be using the app on any more birds. I'll use my own judgment, which is 100% unsure.

No comments:

Post a Comment