Friday 5 August 2022

Friday August 5 - perseverance pays off

 I owe today's successful visit to the patch to the ringers. Not because they caught anything especially unusual, but because they mentioned they would be there. I decided it might be worth joining them instead of visiting Alvechurch Fishery (which had been my first thought).

I arrived at 08.00 in time to see a Kingfisher and a Sparrowhawk carrying prey as I chatted to Tony and Leigh. They had caught a juvenile Marsh Tit earlier on, but that was long gone.

As they prepared to pack up, I strolled off to view the flash field. A Red Kite appeared and showed well for a while. Almost expected nowadays, but with just enough star appeal.

Red Kite

Initially there didn't seem to be much else. Two Teal were the first of the autumn, and I eventually located a Green Sandpiper on the nearest flash. When the Red Kite had been flying around it was briefly challenged by a dozen Black-headed Gulls which had evidently been present, but out of sight, on the furthest flash. So when, having emerged from the second near flash viewing position, I heard and then saw about 100 Gulls circling from the direction of Studley, I decided to head back to the first spot. 

There was a handful of Black-headed Gulls, not enough to explain the breakaway movement of 30+ Black-heads which had flown by. I decided to scope the furthest flash by retreating up the slope and looking through the trees. This immediately bore fruit as I discovered at least 70 Black-headed Gulls and another Green Sandpiper.

Then a flash of persil whiteness as an Egret seemed to land. It was partly obscured by a tree so I took a step to the right and found it was a Great White Egret, only the third for the site. No sooner had I taken in its long neck and yellow bill, it suddenly flew to the left. I scanned for it for about 30 seconds, after which it got up from the amongst the gulls, and again flew left. I was having to walk right to keep the gap in the trees, and I think I saw its neck again through the bins. But this time I couldn't find it in the scope. An hour later it still hadn't reappeared and I concluded it may have flown off.

So I didn't see it arrive or leave, and it might be still there. Anyone seeking it should bear in mind that you cannot enter the private flash field, but it may be visible by distantly viewing the furthest flash....if it's still there at all.

The day had one more gift. Walking down the hedge bordering the Morton Brook I spotted a Robin, and near it another bird. Through bins I couldn't decide what it was, but I had my suspicions. And sure enough it turned out to be a Spotted Flycatcher, only my second this year.

Spotted Flycatcher

A bit of careful approach work gave me some decent views.

By now it was after mid-day, and further cursory looks again failed to reveal the Egret, so I went home. It's a sign of how wedded I am to my Nikon P900 that failing to get any image of the Egret took the edge off the day. But that's still a Circle year-tick leaving me on 126.

Finally, here is Tony's photo of the trapped Marsh Tit.

Marsh Tit - Tony & Leigh K


No comments:

Post a Comment