Thursday 11 August 2022

Thursday August 11 - a dash to the flash

 It's getting too hot to go birding. This morning I chose a very short visit to the flashes at Morton Bagot to see if it still existed. It kind of didn't. The nearest flash has almost completely dried up but still contained three Green Sandpipers and at least 43 Lapwings. The furthest flash held about a dozen Mallard and three Teal.

I then scanned the pool field and saw the HOEF contractors in the distance creating habitat. I believe the plan is to resurrect the pool (although obviously we need some rain).

It looks like being a big job

Scanning the north end of the field I spotted a chat perched on some reedmace. The sun was against me and I wasn't entirely sure whether it was Stonechat or Whinchat.

Chat sp

I decided to venture in and try to get a different view. I suspected it might be a Stonechat, but the further investigation produced two definite Whinchats and no third bird. So perhaps it was just a very poorly marked juvenile Whinchat.

My attempts to photograph the Whinchats suffered from distance and heat haze, and were frankly embarrassingly bad. But at least you could tell they were Whinchats, presumably the two seen by John C on Sunday afternoon.

Whinchat

Within an hour it was too hot, and I sloped off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment