Monday 15 August 2022

Wootton Pool/Wawen - Monday 15 August

 With the temperature dropping at last, I decided to check out a gathering of Egrets reported by the weir at Wootton Wawen over the weekend. 

This morning it comprised just one Little Egret, which was a bit disappointing. I had a plan B on the back-burner which was to have a look at Wootton Pool a short distance away.

Having a look is the problem there. I do not have access to the fishing pool, so have to skulk around on the wrong side of the stream, peering through trees. Not ideal. However I could see enough to establish that the recent dry weather has not created a shoreline.

Despite this I managed to see five Mandarins and a Little Egret, both pool ticks. The former probably bred here, although the young (if that's what they were) had fully fledged.

Mandarin

Little Egret

I was also pleased to find a recently hatched brood of Tufted Ducks, plus the usual Mallards and Greylag Geese. About two Kingfishers dashed up and down the stream, and a flock of warblers and Tits contained two Willow Warblers.

One day I'll find something good here, but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment