Wednesday 17 August 2022

Wednesday August 17 - the two bird theory

 Last time I visited Morton Bagot the sun was beating down and the best I could manage were one or two chats which caused me a few difficulties. In the fierce glare of the sun I had been unsure whether at least one bird was a Whinchat or a Stonechat.

This morning the sun had gone, replaced by cloud with a hint of drizzle and a moderate northerly. But the chats were still there, and in much more favourable light proved to be two Stonechats and two Whinchats. Although I hadn't had the courage of my convictions, I felt my first instinct that the Chat sp shown last time might have been a Stonechat was vindicated.

Stonechat

Whinchat

Rather like last time, that was as good as it got.

The contractors have scraped some earth at the south end of the pool field, creating some Wheatear habitat out of the pile of clods in the corner. Meanwhile the flash field continues to lurch from one extreme to the other, last week's mud with barely a hint of water being replaced by a flooded flash and no muddy edge. I guess the farmer is farming for cattle, not birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment