Monday 14 November 2022

Monday November 14 - changed plans and confusion, but the list moves on

 Having sat out an opportunity to go to Morton Bagot yesterday, preferring to watch England compete in the T20 Cricket World Cup Final - and win, I was intending to go there today. Dave had covered the patch and recorded 42 Teal, a Green Sandpiper, 17 Lapwings, and lots of winter thrushes and Meadow Pipits.

The only issue was the planned arrival of a decorator. He was due at 09.30, so I reckoned that wouldn't mean too late a start. By 10.30 he hadn't arrived and I was reduced to sweeping the leaves on the drive to take my mind off my frustration.

He did then turn up, but I decided I only had time for a brisk walk around Arrow Valley Lake. This proved to be a blessing in disguise.

On surveying the lake from the duck-feeding spot I noticed a large splash. This turned out to be a hunting dog Otter. Within about ten minutes it caught an enormous Carp, and I had some great views of the ensuing struggle.

Otter with prey

It was a perfect morning. Misty cloud and no appreciable wind. As a result I strolled very slowly round, checking several Tit flocks for any patch Gold, and scanning the water for anything noteworthy.

The result of all this was a typical selection of common passerines, two Shovelers, a Tufted Duck, and 21 Cormorants. Pretty standard fare, the only surprise being the complete absence of any Great Crested Grebes.

More fishermen's friends

Shortly after I got home, my vague plan for a late afternoon visit to Morton Bagot was disrupted by an Earlswood Whatsapp message. A female Common Pochard was on Windmill Pool at Earlswood. 

At last! I headed there straight after lunch and was relieved to find it still present.

The Pochard

This species has greatly declined since I first started birding, but it still surprised me that it took until November to finally add it to the #LocalBigYear list. It brings the list to 139. 

No doubt it was the excitement of getting a tick, but I added some Whatsapp confusion by accidentally informing the Group that it was on Terry's Pool instead of Windmill Pool. Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment