Tuesday 8 November 2022

Tuesday November 8 - Tardebigge Reservoir

This morning I abandoned my original plan which would have involved walking around virgin countryside (probably just fields) in favour of Tardebigge Reservoir. This was entirely because it was very windy overnight, and forecast to be just as windy through the day. I was thinking Great Northern Diver and Kittiwake. Dream on.

The water level at the reservoir had risen in response to the recent rain, but the bird life remained pretty similar. At least there were plenty of gulls to look through, with far more large gulls than I am used to seeing.

As it turned out they were Lesser Black-backed Gulls (82), Herring Gulls (14), and Black-headed Gulls (101). Oh well, next time maybe.

The usual suspects

Other waterfowl included 312 Canada Geese, one Greylag Goose, 62 Mallard, 15 Tufted Ducks, a Great Crested Grebe, and a Kingfisher.

The journey back along the canal was too windswept to produce anything noteworthy, but at least I was able to get the camera out.

A male Great Spotted Woodpecker

Part two of the morning's plan was largely foiled when I found Alvechurch Fishery had left their gates closed. A quick scan of Lower Bittell from the Mill Shrub causeway gave me no Pochards or Goldeneyes, and not enough else to be worth recording.




No comments:

Post a Comment