Wednesday 16 November 2022

Wednesday November 16 - Boundaries

The decorator has decorated, and shortly after he left Lyn took a call. Terry H was ringing to let me know there was a Red-throated Diver at Bittell. 'Which Bittell ?" I asked. "Upper Bittell" Lyn replied. That's a shame, I thought.

Its a completely daft reaction to being told about a properly rare bird, but there you go. My Circle includes Lower Bittell, but not Upper. 

But still, I thought I'd go anyway. It was raining for most of the journey, but when I parked, it had abated. By the time I'd walked to the dam it was drizzling. Steve Roberts was on the dam and indicated that the Red-throated Diver was with the nearest Great Crested Grebes. I risked one photo before the camera got too wet.

Red-throated Diver

After about 15 minutes of watching the Diver, and scanning the distant far bank without much enthusiasm I decided I'd got wet enough.

By the time I'd got back to the car the rain had stopped, and another thought occurred. Might as well have a quick look at Lower. I drove down there and strolled to a vantage point.

I could see Gadwalls, Little Grebes, Shovelers, and Coots. Ho hum. Then I spotted some distant Tufted Ducks, so decided to get the scope out. 

Panning to the left of the Tufties I found the BIG ONE. Yes a bonafide #LocalBigYear patch tick. I had reached my target of 140 species with a month to spare. I've never been so pleased to see a Goldeneye.

Goldeneye

The light was awful and the bird was distant. I'm on cloud nine.

Strange business, Patch-watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment