Tuesday 22 November 2022

Tuesday November 22 - Farmland birding

 On an ideal day for birding, mostly sunny and not much wind, I decided to resume my exploration of the Circle. I chose an area of farmland south-west of Redditch, and went on a four hour yomp north of Upper Berrow Farm across a mixture of pasture and arable fields.

The arable bit

What you tend not to get in such countryside is any kind of scarce bird, and indeed I can report that the 40 species seen included not a single stand-out species.

On the other hand, you do see a lot of birds and that can be all you need to feel you've had a good morning. In terms of quantity the top of the tree were Starlings. The northwards walk took in mostly pasture and a few muddy farms, and it was mainly here that I counted 352 Starlings, along with 112 Redwings, and 56 Fieldfares. Ditchford Bank Farm right on the edge of the boundary had most of them, and also a minimum of 17 Collared Doves which is the most I have seen so far.

The arable fields accounted for flocks of 43 Skylarks, 16 Meadow Pipits, 17 Pied Wagtails and 10 Yellowhammers.  The latter were in a field I couldn't get access to, as was a flock of 100 Stock Doves and 200 Woodpigeons. In the absence of any satisfactory bird shots, I decided to photograph the berries of Black Bryony which seemed plentiful in several hedgerows.

Black Bryony

The flowers are extremely inconspicuous, but the berries more than make up for any deficiency. Needless to say I had my identification app to thank for a species I was previously unaware of.


No comments:

Post a Comment