Saturday 15 August 2020

Back in moth world

 Last night's temperature dropped no lower than 15 degrees, but it was a bit breezy and didn't feel very warm this morning.

I caught 70 moths (and about 30 Common Wasps), and after encouraging the wasps to fly off I got down to business. It was actually slightly disappointing, the nearest I came to a new moth was a micro which I tentatively identified as Bryotropha domestica, which it may well be. However, SMW texted to suggest I bear in mind the possibility of Bryotropha basaltinella which has recently colonised Worcestershire. I no longer have the moth in question and my photos aren't very good either.

Bryotropha ag

There were several that were new for the year, the best in terms of looks and the number of years since my last one in the garden was Angle Shades.

Angle Shades

My excitement at seeing this moth was somewhat tempered by the fact that it was easily the commonest macro moth attracted to the discs on the side of Selfridges when I used to work in Birmingham City Centre. But it was still the first for the garden since pre-moth trap days when one entered the bathroom on 21 Sept 2015.

Another one new for this year was the pyralid Acrobasis adustella, of which I caught two.

Acrobasis adustella

Arguably better was a Straw Underwing which was the second for the garden, the other being last year. A rather smart noctuid moth.

Straw Underwing

I also caught my first five Flounced Rustics, and my first two Agriphila geniculea of the year. Both very common moths.

Flounced Rustic


Agriphila geniculea

The total number of species caught was 35. In addition to those already mentioned the most notable were a Swallow Prominent (first since the spring, so a new generation), a Setaceous Hebrew Character (also the first of the new generation), a Bright-line Brown-eye (first since the spring), an Orange Swift, a Marbled Beauty, three Common Carpets, and a Garden Carpet.

The top four in numbers were Large Yellow Underwing (nine), Common Rustic ag (five), Flounced Rustic (five), and Vine's Rustic (five).

No comments:

Post a Comment