Sunday 2 August 2020

Sunday August 2

A mixture of high cloud and sunny intervals with a light westerly breeze.

Dave and I strolled around with the sense of heightened optimism that comes with the beginning of August. In fact Dave had already scored before I arrived, watching a Peregrine at close range above Bannam's Wood as he drove to Netherstead. He picked the bird up again shortly after I joined him and we watched it vanish into the distance.

Warblers were seen, but all rather briefly. To continue with this theme, we disturbed a Kingfisher from Kingfisher Pool, twice. This was the first of the autumn here, but not a year-tick because we recorded one here in March.

We got into position at the nearest flash, which I commented was "crying out for a wader". Obviously I didn't mean the 34 Lapwings and six Green Sandpipers which are currently enjoying its falling water-levels. I meant a "good" wader, the kind we so rarely get.

If only there was a wader here ! Not you in the foreground.

As I took the above photograph I noticed the Lapwing shown suddenly crouch in alarm. The reason became clear when Dave drew my attention to a Hobby flying towards us.

We retreated to the Kingfisher Pool where we found the Hobby again. This was point at which my camera's battery decided it had had enough, and with a sad little bleep it bowed out. Drat! I also discovered I had forgotten to change the setting from "close focus" to "birdwatching" mode. What a pro.

The remainder of the visit passed pleasantly enough. We had crippling views of a Sedge Warbler, and fleeting views of a lot of Whitethroats

Next time I'll try to be better prepared.




No comments:

Post a Comment