Friday 21 August 2020

The Pits - 21 August

The title of this post is a reflection of where I went today, not necessarily how dire it was. With a howling gale and the prospect of no exposed mud at Morton Bagot, a trip to Salford Priors seemed a good plan.

 I paid a visit here in May when there was hardly any gravel poking up from the water surface. Today that island has expanded and looked suitable for waders. And indeed there were a couple, but just a Common Sandpiper, and a juvenile Ringed Plover. Yes these were the species which made my day at Morton Bagot last week, but here they were pretty much the staple diet.

On arrival I was pleased to see a couple of Swifts, my first this month and probably my last of the year unless I spread my wings again. A Sedge Warbler had dived into the hedge by the road, but it wasn't really a day for passerines. On the other hand, I had heard some interesting calls as I arrived and it wasn't long before I was able to confirm my impression that they were indeed Yellow Wagtails. At least two were present on the island. I'm ashamed to say that these were my first for a couple of years.

Yellow Wagtail (and Coot)

Its very likely that this species breeds in the agricultural land around here, but its another declining farmland bird so any I see are much appreciated.

Juvenile Ringed Plover

Another birder then joined me. It was nice to see Chris Lane again, and we spent the next half hour chatting. We also kept an eye open for anything which might turn up, but a juvenile Common Gull which joined the 50 or so Black-headed Gulls was the best we could manage.

I normally enjoy counting birds but only tallied 18 Little Grebes, at least three Gadwall, and a Teal before I lost interest in the numerous Mallards, Tufted Ducks, Coots, and Geese present.

I went across to the other pool, but was disappointed to find that it had no muddy edge. One thing it did contain was a Greylag Goose closely following a Mute Swan around.

Parent and child ?

This seems to be evidence of egg dumping where a Greylag Goose has laid in the Swan's nest. Perhaps the Swan's clutch has failed to hatch or has been predated, while the gosling has imprinted on the first bird it sees and the Mute Swan is quite happy to accept its strange "cygnet".

No comments:

Post a Comment