Saturday 22 August 2020

Late summer moths

 My garden trap contained about 73 moths this morning, several of which were so worn that I released them without attempting an identification. There were also quite a lot of wasps again and I'm afraid one moth, a Dusky Thorn I think from the wings that were left, was eaten by them.

Most of the survivors were Large Yellow Underwings (27), and the next three in order of abundance were Agriphila geniculea (nine), Vine's Rustic (six), and Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (four).

There was just one moth which was new for the garden, a small micro which unfortunately cannot be identified to species level without the recorder becoming involved. However I believe it to be either Caloptilia alchimiella or Caloptilia robustella. The recorder later confirmed it was C robustella which is the commoner of the two.

Caloptilia robustella

The only other moth which was new for the year was a Six-striped Rustic, although an Orange Swift was unusual in being a female rather than a male, and is therefore sort of new for the garden.

Six-striped Rustic
The female Orange Swift

It looks as though I'm going to be stuck with the annoying wasps for the duration of the autumn as my neighbour hasn't noticed (I assume) the nest entrance in the corner of his garage. I keep having to remind myself that they are good for the garden ecosystem.

No comments:

Post a Comment