Sunday 9 August 2020

Friday August 9 - a rare bird at last

This morning dawned cloudy with a light easterly. Always a good start.

Dave joined me and we started our usual circuit, searching for something unusual. The fields were full of Goldfinches, with a smattering of Whitethroats, Reed Buntings, and Linnets, but still no Chats yet.

We reached the flash field and noticed that the water level was even lower. At least six Green Sandpipers and 26 Lapwings had been joined by another wader. Its a nice bird, but it was still just a Common Snipe.

Common Snipe
 

Oh well, at least it was something different. A little further down the hedge a Willow Warbler burst into song, and then we heard the Kingfisher calling. As we approached our viewing point beneath the trees bordering the nearest flash there was a commotion of wader calls. A Sparrowhawk took off and flew towards us.

We were left to scan the flash and consider which of the preceding species qualified as the "best bird" today. Then it turned up.

Dave was in the "gallery" from where he could see the mud of the flash, while I was moving further down the bank. I looked up to see a dark shape fly across the flash well above tree-top level. Marsh Harrier I yelled, as I glimpsed its cream coloured crown and throat. In an instant I lost it behind an oak tree. Meanwhile Dave, whose view was restricted by the overhanging hedge, had seen nothing and was scrambling to join me. I dashed a few yards and scanned the field to the east of the oak tree where the bird would surely reappear. Surely. It seemed an age, but eventually I picked it up again, still heading east. I managed a few record shots as Dave joined me and had his first view of the bird.

Marsh Harrier
Marsh Harrier
Heading away

Between us, Dave and I have seen four Marsh Harriers here, but this was the first time we had seen one together. My two were in 2011 and 2013 (the latter on Aug 10) so this one was timely and I'm tempted to say punctual. Dave's were in October 2015 (when I was in Whitby) and last July (when I chose to stay in to watch the cricket world cup final).

For the rest of the walk we had a rather self-congratulatory air, which is probably why we didn't see any other birds of any significance. But who cares.

Here's a moth, in case you've been missing them.

Shaded Broad-bar

We see this species here most years, but it remains missing from my garden list. Perhaps they are reluctant to wander.


No comments:

Post a Comment