Friday 12 May 2023

Friday May 12 - Coughton Court (without paying)

 My original plan was to resume my relationship with the National Trust by visiting Coughton Court and seeing what birds etc lived there. Then I noticed they didn't open until 11.00 am. That's no good, too late for even a lazy riser such as myself. 

Plan B was to turn into Coughton Fields Road and see if I could park. This worked brilliantly, and I was soon walking towards the ford, and more importantly towards a singing Lesser Whitethroat, which for once I was able to see and photograph.

Lesser Whitethroat

Once I got to the ford I paused to see whether any drivers would risk it after the recent rain had raised the river level. 

Red Van Man going for it

It wasn't as deep as it looked, but had the beneficial effect of reducing the flow of traffic along the lane. After being distracted by Beautiful Demoiselles and Banded Demoiselles I got back to the birding and was soon rewarded with the sight of a female Goosander flying downstream. This species probably breeds on the Arrow every year nowadays, but it was a first at this time of year for me. 

I turned north and followed the river along the east side, eventually flushing a Little Egret and a Grey Wagtail but failing to find any Kingfishers. I'm sure they were there somewhere though. 

It was rather a grey and chilly morning, the wind was north-easterly, so I saw very few butterflies. As far as birds went I amassed a respectable tally of common species, and was entertained by about three Ravens getting mobbed by the local Carrion Crows.

Ravens

I think the two in the photograph may have been recently fledged. An adult had looked ragged winged, but these two characters seemed to have pristine wing feathers when they flew.

I made a mental note to return to this area later this summer. The tall poplars looked ideal for Golden Orioles and the riverside willows really should be harbouring a Night Heron or two. 

Dream on !


No comments:

Post a Comment