Wednesday 10 May 2023

Wednesday May 10 - Spernal STW area

 A morning with sunny intervals and a light westerly breeze. The ornithological clock ticks from looking for migrants to confirming breeding...and being distracted by insects. I walked from Haydon Wood car-park along the Arrow as far as the northern edge of the sewage works. Don't let the phrase sewage works put you off. It was lovely.

The sewage is behind those trees

I didn't have particularly high expectations of the birdlife, so was pleasantly surprised to hear singing Cuckoo, Garden Warbler, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, and Reed Warbler while actually seeing three Mandarins, a Shelduck, a Kingfisher, a Red Kite and a feeding flock of Swifts and House Martins, with a few Swallows and a Sand Martin chucked in for good measure.

Common Swift

Red Kite slightly out of focus as usual

As the morning warmed up, insects started to get my attention. A small collection of common butterflies; Speckled Woods, Orange-tip, Green-veined White, and Red Admiral, and better still two moths; Red Twin-spot Carpet and Maidens Blush. Its so nice to see them in the wild instead of in my moth trap.

Red Twin-spot Carpet

Maiden's Blush

I also saw my first odonata; two Beautiful Demoiselles. As I'm concentrating on rivers this year, I will start a dragonfly year-list for 2023.

I also can't help pointing my camera at any other insects which catch my eye.

A male Blotch-winged Hoverfly - Leucozona lucorum

Common Dance Fly (probably)

Summer is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment