Tuesday 2 May 2023

Tuesday May 2 - Studley Thorns

 I thought it was about time I resumed the exploration of the local area, and picked on the Studley area. Parking at St Mary's church, I walked into the HOEF land known to the Ordnance Survey as Studley Thorns, to HOEF as College Wood (I think), and to a Local Nature Whatsap Group as the Nature Pool. Confusing. 

I hadn't actually made it to the pools before, having previously thought they were private. So I was pleasantly surprised by how nice they looked. Ideal for a Night Heron, but the only tree-bearing heron I saw was this Grey Heron.

Grey Heron balancing

The pool was surrounded by a decent reedbed, from which sang at least four Reed Warblers, my first this year. Unfortunately none showed at all. 

The second year tick was a Garden Warbler which looked destined to remain out of view too, until it suddenly started fly-catching from hawthorns and ash trees. I can't remember ever seeing one do that, and I eventually got some kind of image.

Garden Warbler

Also present was a drake Mandarin, a fly-over Shelduck, four singing Willow Warblers, six Whitethroats, six Blackcaps, and nine singing Chiffchaffs.

Unfortunately I was unable to stay much more than an hour and a half, but I was most impressed with the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment