Sunday 28 May 2023

Sunday May 28 - Morton Bagot Warblerfest

I got up early this morning to join the ringers (who got up earlier) at Morton Bagot. They were doing well for warblers, although the two most noteworthy for the site eluded them. The Garden Warbler was still singing away, and has taken to perching prominently in a very un-Garden Warbler-like way.

Garden Warbler

Later on, after the ringers had gone, I had a wander around and heard a reeling Grasshopper Warbler.

The ringing totals included no less than four Lesser Whitethroats (none of which showed or even called/sang in the field), four Common Whitethroats, a Sedge Warbler, three Chiffchaffs, and two House Sparrows (which were the first ever caught on HOEF land).

Lesser Whitethroat 

Common Whitethroat (female)

Chiffchaff having its wing measured

The only breeding warbler I didn't see was Reed Warbler, and I didn't check the pool where one had been singing last week.

The water level at the flash field is reducing, and the muddy edge hosted a few Lapwings including a recently fledged juvenile, and a Little Ringed Plover. I couldn't see any Shelducks, but didn't check the furthest flash.

Quite a few insects caught my eye, the most interesting being a Grass Rivulet moth. Seeing it was one thing, getting a photograph more problematic. I did eventually get a record shot. I'm not sure whether I've seen one here before...a trawl through my old posts has failed to produce one. Perhaps I need to compile a Morton Bagot moth life list. Another project to consider.

Grass Rivulet

Others new for the year were Mother Shipton, Silver Y, an Epiblema ag, and Yellow Shell.

Mother Shipton


Butterflies included my first Small Heaths for here this year, and for dragonflies I added Four-spotted Chasers (five) to the year-list.

Four-spotted Chaser

So its pretty much just breeding birds and resident insects now. Still fun though.

I almost forgot, my birding down the river Arrow reached its southern point at the edge of the Circle on Friday. However, this involved a stroll along the riverside footpaths in Alcester and the best I could manage was finding breeding evidence for Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, and Mute Swan, plus yet another singing Garden Warbler. The only photographs I took were of a lot of Chub and what I took to be Minnows from one of the bridges. I don't think I'll be starting a fish list though.

Epiblema scutulana (gen det)

No comments:

Post a Comment