Sunday 29 September 2024

Lower Bittell Reservoir - A fool's errand

 Earlier this year I noticed that the BTO were asking people to volunteer to count gulls at gull roosts. I used to do this so thought I would apply to count the one "vacant" locality within my circle of interest; Lower Bittell Reservoir.

Now I know what you are thinking. Surely Lower Bittell doesn't have a gull roost. That's what I thought too, but maybe my knowledge was out of date.

I didn't hear anything after I applied, but I assumed that once I logged on to their website I would be able to enter data anyway.

It turns out I couldn't. Presumably my application went unnoticed. This was probably just as well because, guess what. There were no gulls whatsoever roosting (or even popping in for a look) at Lower Bittell this evening.

At least I got a Bittell tick out of it. Great White Egrets are semi-resident there nowadays, but in my very few recent visits I had managed to miss them until this evening. In poor light, photographed through a hedge, I managed a horribly out of focus record shot.


This may not have been the best bird recorded though. I also heard a Water Rail squealing from reeds below the locked entrance gates.

All in all it was an evening I'd prefer to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment