Sunday 16 February 2020

Sunday February 16

Wet. I think that is the word which sums up this mornings visit. Windy might also sneak into the description. Also flooded, which the whole area certainly was. In fact I only got as far as High Field Farm before I decided the next bend looked impassable. Several cars later proved me wrong, but only just.

The pool was back. The water level was actually above the island, something I cannot recall even when the pool was a permanent feature.

There should be an island in the middle of the pool
Anyway, what about birds? Well I did get a couple of patch year-ticks. A Yellowhammer flew in and perched above me before flying off. I then flushed three Tufted Ducks from the pool behind the flash field, where they then ended up. I don't have any photos of either event because of the rain and incompetence.

Other birds occupying the flash field were three Wigeon, two Shelduck, six Coot, two Lapwings, and eight Teal. It could have been worse.

As I was preparing to leave six Herring Gulls flew along the line of the Morton Brook, so I decided it could be worth checking the large field between the patch and Studley Castle. The weather worsened and by the time I got into position I was able to count 80 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, and 10 Herring Gulls. There was a Herring Gull type with a darker grey mantle, but I couldn't see its legs and I was so wet I decided I couldn't care less.

I trudged home.

No comments:

Post a Comment