Monday 24 February 2020

Upton Warren - Glaucous Gull

Last evening an immature Glaucous Gull had roosted at Upton Warren, while Lyn and I were enjoying the hospitality of friends in Moseley. This morning I was spark out at dawn, and it was raining heavily, so I didn't go.

This afternoon I decided to give it a go, but couldn't get away until late afternoon. I arrived at the hide at 17.45 fully expecting to be greeted with news that it had not come in.

But it had. A huge white gull in front of the hide was the Glaucous Gull, my first large white-winged gull at Upton Warren. It was almost too dark for the camera, but not quite. It's surprisingly dark-based bill is thought to be due to soil, photos of it from this morning show a perfectly normal pink base.

Glaucous Gull and Curlew
About 500 Black-headed Gulls and a handful of Herrings and Lessers were also present, but I confess  I didn't make any attempt to count them. Even worse, I had to ask where the Avocets were. There was a little group of them beyond the gulls.

I waited until the Barn Owl came out of roost before strolling back. It was very nice to chat to some familiar faces; John Ridley, Des Jennings, and Andy Warr, and also meet new ones: Gert Corfield.

I should do this more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment