Saturday 15 February 2020

The garden moth season gets underway at last

Last night the temperature only dipped to a balmy 10 degrees, and this coincided with GMS winter moth survey evening, so I was optimistic for some live moth action. I was not to be disappointed.

Storm Dennis held off just long enough for me to step outside and immediately find a new moth for the garden. The March Moth clinging to the brickwork around the back door is not a rare moth, although it is a rapidly declining species. This, and the fact that I haven't systematically trapped in winter before, may account for the fact it has taken me just over two years to see one.

March Moth
Unfortunately, as it got lighter, so it also got wetter. So the photograph isn't great.

I then went on to find three moths in the trap; Acleris literana (one record last year), Chestnut (alive this time), and Common Quaker.

Acleris literana
Up and running.

PS: Another moth found, this time on the shed. A rather fine, and maybe quite early, Hebrew Character.

Hebrew Character



No comments:

Post a Comment