Saturday 29 February 2020

Blackminster - Waxwing

On the afternoon of my last posting I checked Twitter and found that a Waxwing had been found at Blackminster. The place didn't mean anything to me, but minimal research revealed it was near Evesham, and therefore near me.

I resisted the urge to go and look at it for two days, but this morning, with the sun out, I cracked.

It proved very easy to see. Drive into Blackminster, spot half a dozen birders grilling the bird with scopes and cameras, find somewhere to park. The latter problem was solved by the presence of a convenient car-park behind a small trading estate.

Waxwing
They are just stunning birds. This one is the only one in the West Midlands at the moment, and had found some nice juicy white berries to feed on. It remained in the same position for the whole time I was there.


It's been a poor to moderate winter for Waxwings, and this bird was attracting a steady trickle of admirers.

The only other birds of note were a flock of at least 21 Linnets twittering away in the car-park.

No comments:

Post a Comment