Monday 10 February 2020

Upton Warren - Monday February 10

I fancied a visit to somewhere with hides this morning, and my old patch seemed just the ticket.

The morning began sunny, but I ended the visit holed up in the main hide at the flashes as a long sleet and rain shower hammered down onto a flock of soggy Lapwings.

Wet Lapwings
Lady luck was not with me this morning. I had begun at the North Moors in glorious sunshine. I heard a Water Rail squeal, and the few birds present were showing well.

A pair of Gadwall
Moving on to the main hide overlooking Amy's Marsh and the whole Moors Pool, I diligently counted what was in front of me, including eight Shelduck to add to the pair on the North Moors, two Oystercatchers, two female Pochard, a Great Crested Grebe, and a Little Grebe. Then a Sparrowhawk charged through flushing everything, including 18 Common Snipe.

One of the other occupants of the hide mentioned that a Mediterranean Gull was at the flashes, so I abandoned the 211 Black-headed Gulls in front of me and headed back to the car. My tally of singing Cetti's Warblers had reached three by then, but none was showing.

As the cloud increased I made it to the main hide at the flashes, and was disappointed to learn that the Med Gull was long gone. There were also no Avocets present, and as the deluge began I realised I would be there for quite a long time.

Teal
The back of the middle flash was carpeted in Jackdaws and also 10 Curlew. This species was always a feature of Upton Warren, but the Midland population has been nose-diving for several decades as these long-lived waders fail to breed successfully due to "improvements" in agriculture robbing them of suitable habitat. Its all very sad.

Curlews in the gloom
I hate to say it, but even this small number may become a thing of the past in the next decade. On a lighter note, a pair of Stonechats could just be seen in the same area.

As the rain abated I headed for home, but I'm sure I'll be back before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment