Monday 22 April 2019

Monday April 22 - last night's garden moths

With the warm weather continuing, I couldn't resist putting the trap out for another go. The final tally was 33 moths of 16 species.

New for the garden were five Lunar Marbled Browns, a Frosted Green, and a Pebble Prominent. When I say new for the garden this generally also means the first I have ever seen...as in this case.

Lunar Marbled Brown
Frosted Green
Pebble Prominent
As far as I can tell, none of these moths is especially scarce. There are just an awful lot of moth species out there.

Firsts for the year were; Codling Moth, Oak-tree Pug, Common Plume, Chocolate-tip, and Maiden's Blush.
Chocolate-tip

Maiden's Blush
I spent much of the morning staring at the 10 Pugs I caught before deciding they were two Double-striped Pugs, six Brindled Pugs, and two Oak-tree Pugs. They are a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

Brindled Pug and Oak-tree Pug
Brindled and Oak-tree are especially hard to tell apart, but there can be quite a size difference. The above rather crap photo shows two at either end of the size range.

No comments:

Post a Comment