Thursday 18 April 2019

Thursday April 18

News from the patch says that the male Ring Ouzel is still present, and also a pair of Wheatears (Francis Peplow - via Twitter).

Meanwhile I have spent a pleasant morning examining the moths contained in my overnight moth trap. The final tally (after I discovered a couple of extras clinging to the wall of the house) was 26 moths of 11 species.

The undoubted highlight was a new for the garden (and also a lifer) Swallow Prominent. Its a quite stunning moth.

Swallow Prominent
Its also not especially rare, but I haven't heard of any others caught this year, so its quite early. Of the remainder, only the three Brindled Beauties and the Shuttle-shaped Dart were new for the year.

Brindled Beauty

Shuttle-shaped Dart
All the usual species were present, 12 Common Quakers, two Hebrew Characters, a Clouded Drab, a Twenty-plume Moth, and two Double-striped Pugs. While Twin-spotted Quaker, Brindled Pug and Early Thorn were all the second records this year.

A single Willow Warbler was singing to remind me I am supposed to be a birder.

But then I lapsed and on a visit to Hillers Garden Centre with Lyn during the afternoon, photographed a shieldbug in their garden which looked like it might be something different. I have identified it as a Hairy Shieldbug.

Hairy Shieldbug
I've submitted it to irecord.com for confirmation.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard
    We visited your patch on Thursday and spotted 3 Avocets on the nearest flash around mid afternoon and still there at 5 when we left.

    Jeff Preston (Marsh Lane regular)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff. Congratulations, that's only the second record for the site. That'll teach me to tit around looking at moths.

    ReplyDelete